Marriage License FAQ

  • Do I need to make an appointment to get a marriage license?

    No. You may visit our office during normal business hours. These hours can be found on our CONTACT PAGE.

  • Do you need a Kentucky ID to get a Marriage License?

    We accept any government issued ID and proof of age must be shown.

  • Who may solemnize a marriage?

    1. Ministers or priests in regular communion with any religious society;
    2. Judges, county judges/executive, justice of the peace;
    3. A religious society that has no minister and who solemnizes marriages at the usual place of worship, if either party belongs to the society.
    4. KRS chapter 402 has further information concerning marriage license laws.

  • Do ministers need to be bonded?

    No. The law that required this was repealed in 1994.

  • If we are getting married in another state, where can we get the license?

    You need to get the license in the state where you are getting married. The license we issue must be used in Kentucky.

  • We got married out of the country, do we need to register it in your office?

    No. The country where you got married should send you its official certificate. The County Clerk’s office only records licenses that it issues.

  • How do I change my name after I get married?

    You will need to take the marriage certificate that we mail to you to the social security office.

  • Do I have to change my name?

    No, but you still need to inform the social security office of your marital status.

  • Where do I obtain copies of divorce records?

    At the Circuit Court located in the Courthouse Annex at 107 Main Street, Nicholasville.

  • Do I need to bring my divorce papers?

    No. You need to bring your government issued ID.
  • Land Records FAQ

  • Are you closed for lunch?

    No. We have staff available to assist customers during normal business hours. Please visit our CONTACT PAGE for details.

  • Will you fax or email a copy to me?

    We can fax documents but cannot email them. In order to fax them we can take the order over the phone. Payment can be made by Visa, MasterCard, or Discover. The fees for the document are 50 cents per page for copies, $2.00 fax fee, and a $2.20 credit card fee per $100 accrued.

  • Can I obtain the book and page number of a document over the phone?

    No. We do not give recording information over the phone.

  • How can I get the book and page number of a document?

    You may come in to the office to request the information or you may mail in a request along with payment for a copy of a specific document.

  • Do you have marriage licenses for other counties?

    No. Each county is responsible for their marriage records. It wasn’t until June 1958 that the Vital Statistics Office began centrally storing records for every county.

  • How do I get a copy of a divorce decree?

    Divorce records can be found in the Circuit Court where the divorce was granted. For a divorce filed in Jessamine County contact the Jessamine County Circuit Court at (859) 887-1005.

  • Does the Jessamine County Clerk's Office have a list of foreclosures?

    No. The Master Commissioner’s Office is responsible for the properties that are going to be auctioned. Please contact the Master Commissioner at (859) 885-1550.

  • Where/How do you transfer a mobile home?

    Mobile homes are titled like vehicles. Mobile home transfers are completed in the Transfer Department of the Jessamine County Clerk.

  • How do I find out how much I paid in real estate taxes last year?

    The Jessamine County Sheriff collects the current year tax bills. Contact the Property Tax Division of the Jessamine County Sheriff at (859) 885-4139 or online at www.jessaminetax.org. If the tax bill was delinquent (paid after April 16th), contact our office at (859) 885-4161.

  • Who do I contact if I feel that my property tax assessment is incorrect or I want to claim a homestead or disability exemption?

    The Jessamine County Property Valuation Office is in charge of property assessments. Contact the PVA at (859) 885-4931.

  • How do I get a business license?

    Visit the Occupational Tax Office.

  • Where do I get a building permit?

    City/County Planning and Zoning.

  • Will your office help me prepare my documents or do you have blank forms?

    The Jessamine County Clerk’s Office cannot help you prepare any document nor do we have blank forms. The documents that are brought here for recording must be completely filled out prior to recording.

  • When will you hold the annual tax sale?

    Go to www.revenue.ky.gov to see the schedule of all the Kentucky counties’ tax sales.
  • Notary FAQ

  • Who can post a surety bond?

    A Jessamine County property owner may sign for a notary’s bond. An individual can only be surety for one notary. The notary’s name cannot be on the deed. Another option is for an insurance company to sign for the notary’s bond.

  • Do the notary and surety need to come together?

    No. However, until the notary has been sworn in and bond posted, the notary cannot start notarizing documents.

  • Can I sign for my own notary bond?

    No. The notary cannot post his or her own bond.

  • What are the liabilities to being the surety?

    If the notary does something illegal in regards to notarizing a document, the surety could be held responsible for up to $500 per occurence.

  • Can one person be the surety for several notaries?

    No. An individual can only be the surety for one person at a time.

  • Is the use of a seal necessary?

    Only if the document being notarized is going out of state.

  • Do I have to use my identification number when I notarize a document?

    At this time it is not required but it is preferred.

  • Is there a notary handbook available?

    For further notary information and/or handbook, please go to the Secretary of State’s website www.sos.ky.gov.

  • Will I be notified when my commission is ready to expire?

    No. The Secretary of State does not send any reminders when your four-year commission will expire.

  • How do I renew my notary?

    Four weeks prior to commission expiration reapply with the Secretary of State.